Berry Surprise Cake


Ruby-red...sweet-tart...who doesn't love raspberries? These beautious berries are Jim's favorite. His mother grows them, in fact. I considered using strawberries when I saw they were a tad cheaper at Trader Joe's. But I knew that his approval would be diminished. So, I got the juicy little gems. I didn't reveal the surprise of this sponge cake until he came sniffing the berries from a mile away. I had to give away the secret. He was delighted when I shared the remaining berries with him. The few berries was a small cost compared to the dimpled pleasure that his smile gave me. This is the stuff that keeps my marriage happy, I believe.

In truth, I thought this cake was a lot of work to prepare. Heating up the egg/sugar mixture and all...whew! But, I really had no problem with the top falling or with slicing it in half to scoop out the innards. All worked out. My trouble started when it was time to frost the top and sides. I wish I had just frosted the top, because there just was not enough glorious cream for the sides. So, the cake is very ugly. But, delicious and so light that you feel like you could eat the whole thing without getting full. I'm starting to think that my best food outcomes are just gonna be ugly.

0 comments: