TWD: Blueberry Crumble Cake

So you may have noticed, I don't really know the title names of these recipes whenever I sit down to post my thoughts. I usually use my DG book on a separate counter than wherever I have spread out the 'gredients for the recipe so I don't yuck it up. I then put it away as soon as I am done with the project...until next week, that is. So, whenever I sit down, I don't take the time and effort to pull the book from its devoted shelf. I think I probably guesstimate the title well enough that you know what I mean. Am I right or am I taking you for granted?

I have been into making "baby cakes" lately. Cuter word and better description for muffins. So, instead of a cake, I made some baby cakes. I used orange zest instead of lemon in this recipe. Orange is so sunny and sweetly fresh. These were really good and the orange zest added such a nice zing to it...makes me really understand why "zest" is "zest" and not just "grated peel." I also hate to think that a bar of soap has the same name. How undeserving...

I read some of the TWD comments about sinking blueberries and am happy to report that mine suspended throughout the batter. I did use frozen and I wish I hadn't used so darn many (2 cups called for). They overwhelmed the batter and made a few of my sweet little cakes hard to un-tin.

In any case, I love muffins with streusel topping and this was a winner. I can't say that these are any better than my standard recipe would be if I tossed in some zest. I may try this recipe again with some whole wheat flour added to the mix. I think I'd get some lovely texture from the substitution.

0 comments: