TWD: French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze

Yeowza- Even though it's only Tuesday, I've had such a week! Two of my dearest friends came last night for a visit and a chat. We talked until almost 1 in the morning! And then I got to wake up and go work with my delightful, challenging 4-year-old class...who were surprisingly delightful and not such a challenge today. I think we are all figuring each other out! I love this kind of progress! Well, I fed the ladies last night. I fed them lots of salty from Trader Joe's and I fed them a variation of the TWD cake.

I had read about a Key Lime Yogurt Cake with Raspberry Coulis on Peabody's blog and I decided to try her rendition of the french yogurt cake. Let me start by saying, I know this is not typical TWD behavior, but I couldn't find lemon marmalade and I was really excited about a raspberry stripe. Let me also say that I wish I had taken Dorie's fundamental recipe and just given it Peabody's twist. Next time, I will do exactly that.

The cake is fabulous. More than fabulous...it's down-right incredible. I kid you not! It is such a dense, moist cake. It hosts marscapone cheese and yogurt...holy cow! And the tart of the lime zest with the sweet of the raspberry. Awesome!

Here is a photo of my outcome. As I mentioned, I would do it Dorie-style next time, simply because I think the cake would get a better rise and would be more spongy than dense. But, all in all, this cake has made me want to be French.

Key Lime Yogurt Cake with Raspberry Coulis Ribbon

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (I used lowfat)
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 tsp grated key lime zest
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup key lime juice
1/3 cup raspberry coulis

For the coulis:
1 cup fresh raspberries
¼ cup sugar
1 TBSP key lime juice

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
In a small saucepan bring raspberries and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until it thickens up a bit.
Run through a sieve or strainer. Using the raspberry juice only, add the lime juice to the mixture. Taste. If too sweet add more lime juice, if not sweet enough, add more sugar. Set aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium sized bowl.
In another bowl (large), whisk together the yogurt, mascarpone cheese, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lime zest, and vanilla.
Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Spread raspberry coulis evenly over the batter. Add the remaining batter on top of the raspberry coulis. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lime juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

The original cake comes with an addtional glaze on top. I chose not to make it but still posted it in case you want it.

For the glaze:

1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 TBSP key lime juice

Combine the confectioners’ sugar and lime juice and pour over the cake.

Adapted from Foodnetwork.com, Ina Garten

0 comments: