TWD: Chocolate Armagnac Cake & the 4's.

I mentioned before in my blogs how I can be brilliant. Now, I am not an arrogant person who can't stop talking about my accomplishments. Instead, I think my own brilliance is such an anomaly that I can't help but talk about it when it surfaces.

So, last week when I went to work, I was stopped at the door by my boss who told me I was reassigned to a class that was legendary for their loud noise and inability to be tamed by a teacher. My sweet little 2's and 3's that I so lovingly tamed and taught were handed over to new teachers and I was thrown to the four-year-old wolves. And, I admit, they chewed on me for a few days, despite my defensive tactics.

But then today...today came. I decided this morning that I was up for this. After all, I've been trained by my own son, who takes the blue ribbon for his stubborn, inability to comply. The boy and I have survived each other for 6 years and are both better people for it. So, these kids can't possibly knock me off my game.

I went to work with an icy heart, ready to deny all requests and restrict all freedoms.Just so you know, this class is full of great kids- truly. It's my job to harness the great and diminish the not-so-great. Well, the most outstanding not-so-great habit in this class is tattling. No student in that class can move without someone tattling on them. These kids love to tattle so much that they make tattles up, just to hear themselves talk. So today...they met "The Tattlebox." In one short day, the tattlebox has completely changed the dynamics of this class. I redirect these kids to the tattlebox and they stood in an orderly clump waiting their turn to draw a picture of whatever offense to put into the tattlebox. I counted 23 tattles in 2 hours. One kid just stuck in a drawn picture of a dog...whatever that means. Was he called a dog or someone stuck their tongue out like a dog, maybe? In any case, they were not able to distract me or anyone from the teaching that I was trying to do. Amazing thing, that tattlebox. I suggest one for every home. Now, if I can just get them to sit on the carpet...

So, the CACake. Love it!!! I was apprehensive (like most) about the prunes, the liquor, the whole flambe scenario. But, TWD is hard to keep up with since I go to class 2 nights a week right now. So, I knew I needed to push onward. And, I am so glad I did. I used a small bottle of cognac that I got at the ABC store for $3. Plumped and fired-up the prunes. I wasn't sure whether or not to mush the prunes, so I did. I wish now I had gone ahead and made the chunks a bit finer.

Something about the harshness of the bittersweet chocolate with the sweet fruity taste is really delicious. I wish the glaze were a bit sweeter (semisweet, maybe), but I love the whole she-bang. Glad I have some left for dessert tonight, in fact.

0 comments: